Zucchini Fritters Recipe
Of all zucchini recipes, these Turkish zucchini fritters are one of my favorite. Lightly fried in olive oil, and chock full of fresh herbs, these delicate patties melt in your mouth. They are a great way to use up bumper crops of zucchini, and can easily be made dairy-free by omitting the feta cheese.
A traditional Turkish Dish
Called mücver in Turkish, these are incredibly easy to gobble up, so be sure to double or triple this recipe if you have friends coming over! I’m going to warn you right here though, these fritters are a little, well, fall-aparty. The batter is very loose, which can be frustrating when flipping. But this is also what makes them so delicious and light. I use one of these fish spatulas to flip them carefully, and don’t get too concerned if small bits flake off of the fritters. Heck, you might even have a couple that fall apart completely. No worries, even a zucchini fritter “pile” will taste delicious, I promise. And they only get easier with practice.
I like to serve them with a small side of plain yogurt, or some chopped fresh tomato. The herb mixture inside is completely up to you. Traditionally used are parsley, mint, and dill, feel free to use all or one of these, or experiment with other herbs as well. I would serve these with Marinated Carrot Salad and Turkish Style Braised Leeks for a light lunch or dinner, and if you’re on the hungrier side, add in Mom’s Meatballs with Parsley and Onion Salad.
Zucchini Fritters Recipe
- 1 pound zucchini
- ½ bunch Scallions
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓-½ cup chopped fresh herbs (parsley, mint, dill)
- 1 egg
- 2-3 Tablespoons brown rice flour or all-purpose flour
- 2-3 oz. crumbled Feta cheese (optional)
- 5-7 grinds Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Grate zucchini in a food processor with grating attachment or with a box grater. Chop scallions. Combine grated zucchini and chopped scallions in a strainer set over a bowl and sprinkle with sea salt. Work together with your hands, incorporating salt throughout. Let sit 15 minutes.
- Squeeze, working out as much liquid as possible. You will have about 2 cups of zucchini.
- Place in a clean bowl. Add chopped herbs, egg, flour, and feta cheese, pepper. If not using feta cheese, as another ¼ t salt. Mixture will be quite loose, that’s okay.
- Heat 10” saute pan over medium heat. When hot, add 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Spoon 3 patties into pan, creating a round shape. They will be loose. Let them cook. Using a fish spatula, carefully flip when edges are starting to turn golden brown, about 5 min over medium heat. Flip and cook 2-3 min on other side. Add remaining 2 Tablespoons olive oil after cooking 2 batches.