Zucchini Burger Recipe
You might not know you need this zucchini burger in your life until you try it. It’s a delicious way to use up hordes of summer zucchini, while making a delicious vegetarian burger in the process.
How to Make Homemade Veggie Burgers
There are many many recipes out there for homemade veggie burgers. From chickpeas to black beans, to mushrooms and quinoa, there are a myriad of delicious wholesome ingredients as possibilities. This particular recipe uses 3 pounds (!) of zucchini or other summer squash, which makes it a perfect recipe for summer when zucchini are in abundant supply.
The zucchini for this burger are roasted before combining with the other ingredients. It’s easy to do–just douse sliced zucchini rounds with a little olive oil and pop in the oven at 425 degrees F for 30 minutes or so. They will turn a lovely caramel color. Roasting the zucchini is an essential step in this recipe, as the caramelizing that occurs creates a wonderful depth of flavor.
Cooking Veggie Burgers
I use a cast-iron pan to cook up these burgers, as it makes a nice crust on the outside of the patty. They can also be grilled, using a grill pan, which can be placed directly on top of the grill. This way you get the yummy smoky grilled flavor, without the patties falling through the grates (the patties are quite soft). These patties can definitely be made in advance, and easily reheated, making them perfect make-ahead for parties, for meal prep, or for enjoying throughout the week.
Included in the recipe below is my super simple 5-minute tzatziki, or cucumber-yogurt sauce. Make up a batch of it to top this burger, or for use as a dip. For a great side dish for these burgers, try green beans with fresh dill and olives.
Zucchini Burger Recipe
- 3 pounds zucchini and/or summer squash
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 Tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 bunch Italian parsley
- 2 cups panko
- 4 burger buns of your choice
- 1 tomato
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 8 oz. plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch dill
- pinch fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut zucchini into 1/4 inch thick rounds and toss with olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper. Roast until golden brown, about 30-40 minutes. Flip once during cooking.
- Mince garlic. Combine with paprikas, cayenne pepper, and salt in a small bowl.
- Let zucchini cool to room temperature, and place in a food processor. Add garlic/spices/salt mixture and pulse until a paste is formed. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Mince parsley and add to bowl, and add panko. Mix gently.
- Form into four 4-inch burgers that are about 1 inch thick. Refrigerate for one hour.
- In a cast iron pan or on a griddle, heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Cook burger 5-7 minutes per side, until heated through.
- Serve zucchini burgers with your favorite fixins'. For the 5-minute tzatziki, grate the cucumber and garlic into the yogurt. Mince dill and add to the mixture, along with salt. Smother on top of the burger.