Red Lentil Soup Recipe with Curry Powder and Spinach
This recipe comes together quickly, and is great for lunches for the week. It also freezes well.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 1 medium onion
- 3 medium tomatoes or one 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter or ghee
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, optional
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1½ cups red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups baby spinach, or chopped larger spinach leaves
- black pepper, freshly ground, 5-7 grinds
Finely dice onion. Chop tomatoes.
In a large soup pot, over medium heat, cook onion in butter until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add tomato paste, curry powder, cumin, cayenne, and salt and stir until fragrant, 30 seconds to a minute. Add lentils, tomatoes, bay leaves, and water. Partially cover, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and cook until lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
Remove bay leaves. Remove soup pot from heat and puree partially with an immersion blender (but don't make it too smooth). Alternatively, puree half the soup in a blender (carefully!) and return to pot.
Return to heat, stir in spinach and salt and pepper to taste, and cook for a minute or so until spinach is wilted into the soup.
Calories: 171kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 194mg | Potassium: 508mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 15.4% | Vitamin C: 11.6% | Calcium: 4.2% | Iron: 18.2%