Turkish-Style Beef Stew Recipe
Delicious and hearty one-pot meal.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley
- 1 bunch mint
- 1/2 green cabbage, or 1 bunch collard greens
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter or extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes, or 2 large fresh tomatoes
- 3-4 cups beef stock or water
- 1 teaspoon Turkish red pepper (Aleppo pepper)
- 1 15-oz. can Great northern beans
Cut onion into medium dice. Roughly chop garlic. Chop parsley and mint and set aside. Cut cabbage or collards into thin strips and set aside.
Add 2 Tablespoons butter or oil and ground beef to a medium-sized stew pot. Cook over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink.
Add remaining 2 Tablespoons butter or oil, onion, garlic, and salt to the pot. Turn heat down to medium and cook until onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add tomato paste and diced tomatoes, stir to combine. Add beef stock or water and bring to a boil.
Add most of parsley and mint, reserving some for garnish. Add cabbage and Turkish red pepper, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add beans and simmer for another 10 minutes, until cabbage is just tender. Adjust for salt and serve immediately, garnishing with fresh mint and parsley.
Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 365mg | Potassium: 469mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 29% | Vitamin C: 53.9% | Calcium: 7.9% | Iron: 15.6%