Weeknight Lamb Recipe | Leafy Greens with Lamb
Looking for an easy weeknight lamb recipe? Leafy greens with lamb combines ground lamb with simple pantry ingredients for a satisfying and comforting dish.
Weeknight Lamb Recipe
Leafy Greens with Lamb is probably one of my all-time favorite comfort foods. I crave this dish every time I need a simple home-cooked meal. I like to pile on the plain yogurt, sprinkle with Turkish Red Pepper, one of my favorite essential Turkish spices, and serve with crusty bread for dipping. Ground lamb is a common ingredient in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines. It’s full of flavor and nutrients, yet underutilized in the United States. In this dish, a small amount of ground lamb is combined with a large amount of leafy greens of your choice, creating a dish that is essentially seasoned with ground lamb. Traditionally, in the villages of Turkey, copious amounts of wild greens are gathered for this dish.
How to Season Ground Lamb Dishes
There are many spices that go well with the strong flavor of ground lamb. One traditional and simple way is with allspice and black pepper, as suggested below. Curry powder also holds up well to the bold flavor of lamb, hence another suggestion in the recipe below, my Turkish 10-Spice, a version of curry powder using traditional Turkish spices. More good spice options for lamb include cumin and cinnamon. In addition, switching up the spices every time you make it means one dish with tons of options.
What to Serve with Ground Lamb
Serve Leafy Greens with Lamb with good crusty bread for dipping, and plain yogurt as a topping (pictured). Or try as a side dish with Turkish Rice Pilaf.
Leafy Greens with Lamb
- 2 large bunches mixed greens (I prefer spinach, arugula, or chard: use all one variety, or a mixture), or 1 pound green mix
- 1 small onion
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 ounces ground lamb*
- 1/2 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground allspice and black pepper OR
- 1 teaspoon Turkish 10-Spice
- 2 Tablespoons basmati or long-grain white rice**
- Wash mixed greens well, and separate stems from leaves. Chop or tear any large leaves into pieces. Slice stems thinly. Set aside to drain.
- Finely chop onion. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a high-sided skillet, add onion and salt and onion for about 2 minutes. If using chopped stems, add them here with the onion. Add the lamb, breaking up with a metal spoon, and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, allspice, black pepper, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped greens and rice. Cover and reduce heat to low, cooking the rice until soft, 20 minutes. When rice is soft, taste and adjust for salt. Serve warm. This dish is delicious accompanied by plain yogurt (as pictured) and crusty bread, if desired.