Vegetarian Taco Recipe | Mushroom & Walnut Tacos
This quick vegetarian taco recipe combines minced mushrooms and walnuts with ancho chili powder and other spices. The result is a meat-free taco recipe that you will crave every day of the week.
Tacos For Everyone
I’m pretty sure the “Taco Tuesday” craving is embedded in our DNA as southern Californians. While the competition for the best Taco Tuesday taqueria in my town is fierce, sometimes I prefer to stay home instead and make this delicious quick alternative. I created this vegetarian taco recipe for those wanting a meat-free taco, although the spice blend in them is the same as what I use when making meat tacos. For meat tacos, I use one pound of ground beef or turkey instead of the mushroom-walnut combo.
Serve up a with simple green salad with pumpkin seed dressing. Or make a batch of cilantro-lime gremolata, (recipe below), as a delicious topping.
Mushroom & Walnut Tacos
- 1 medium onion (white or yellow)
- 6 oz. white button mushrooms or cremini
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil (or other neutral tasting oil such as refined coconut oil)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 corn tortillas (or favorite tortilla of your choice)
- 1 tomato for topping
- 1 avocado for topping
- 2 leaves lettuce for topping
- Cilantro-Lime Gremolata for topping
- 2 limes for topping
- Cut onion into a small dice. Mince mushrooms by hand, or in a food processor. Mince walnuts by hand, or in a food processor. (Do separately from mushrooms).
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add all but 3 Tablespoons of diced onion and cook, stirring frequently, until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add minced mushrooms, tomato paste, spices, and salt, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Once the liquid has mostly evaporated, add minced walnuts and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Chop tomato, avocado, and lettuce for topping. Prepare cilantro-lime gremolata, and cut limes into wedges. Use reserved 3 Tablespoons diced onion for topping.
Cilantro-Lime Gremolata Recipe
- Finely dice jalapenos, garlic, and cilantro. Zest 2 limes and juice one of them.
- Combine diced ingredients with lime zest and juice, oil, salt, and pepper, and let rest at least 10 minutes before serving. Keeps for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.