Vegetarian Taco Recipe | Mushroom & Walnut Tacos
In this 20-minute vegetarian taco recipe, minced mushrooms and walnuts are combined with ancho chili powder and a blend of other spices for a meat-free Taco Tuesday recipe that will leave you craving them throughout the week.
Tacos For Everyone
I’m pretty sure the “Taco Tuesday” craving is embedded in our DNA as southern Californians, and while the competition for the best Taco Tuesday taqueria in town is fierce, why not stay home and make this delicious quick alternative? I created this vegetarian taco recipe for my plant-based readers, although the spice blend in these mushroom and walnut tacos is the same one I use when making meat tacos, using one pound of ground beef or turkey instead of the mushrooms and walnuts.
Serving up a simple green salad with pumpkin seed dressing would complement these nicely. I also suggest making a batch of cilantro-lime gremolata (recipe below), which makes a delicious topping.
Mushroom & Walnut Tacos
- 1 medium onion (white or yellow)
- 6 oz. white button mushrooms or cremini
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil (or other neutral tasting oil such as refined coconut oil)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 corn tortillas (or favorite tortilla of your choice)
- 1 tomato for topping
- 1 avocado for topping
- 2 leaves lettuce for topping
- Cilantro-Lime Gremolata for topping
- 2 limes for topping
- Cut onion into a small dice. Mince mushrooms by hand, or in a food processor. Mince walnuts by hand, or in a food processor. (Do separately from mushrooms).
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add all but 3 Tablespoons of diced onion and cook, stirring frequently, until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add minced mushrooms, tomato paste, spices, and salt, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Once the liquid has mostly evaporated, add minced walnuts and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Chop tomato, avocado, and lettuce for topping. Prepare cilantro-lime gremolata, and cut limes into wedges. Use reserved 3 Tablespoons diced onion for topping.
Cilantro-Lime Gremolata Recipe
- Finely dice jalapenos, garlic, and cilantro. Zest 2 limes and juice one of them.
- Combine diced ingredients with lime zest and juice, oil, salt, and pepper, and let rest at least 10 minutes before serving. Keeps for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.