Marinated Portobello Mushrooms with Tomatoes and Feta Cheese
This vegetarian grilling recipe of marinated portobello mushrooms stuffed with tomatoes and feta cheese satisfies vegetarians and meat eaters alike, and couldn’t be easier to make.
Spices That Go With Mushrooms
Some of the best spices that complement the earthy flavor of mushrooms are red pepper, allspice, garlic, and cumin, which are all essential Turkish spices. My Turkish Grill Spice is a combination of some of these spices. The blend adds a bit of heat from the red pepper and tartness from the sumac to the final dish. In addition, the lemon zest, olive oil, and garlic used in the marinade adds even more flavor.
Sometimes I feel a little challenged when I host a cook-out and have vegetarian guests coming over. Of course I want to feed them well, but also don’t want to stress myself out creating a complicated dish. I also like to offer something a bit more interesting than pasta salad. These marinated portobello mushrooms are the best of both worlds. They are super simple to make, full of flavor, and a wonderful addition to any meal.
How to Cook Portobello Mushrooms
Cook these mushrooms on a preheated grill until the cheese melts and the mushrooms soften slightly. It’s also possible to cook them inside under the broiler in your oven, as outlined in the recipe below. They can then be cut in half to serve, or served whole, depending on the amount of people at the table. This filling can also be used to fill smaller mushrooms and used as an appetizer.
Vegetarian Meal Ideas
This dish makes a delicious side dish for a steak, or for a fully vegetarian meal, pair it with Turkish-style braised green beans (which are easily made in advance and served at room temperature), and this roasted cauliflower and date salad.
Marinated Portobello Mushroom Recipe with Tomatoes and Feta Cheese
- 5-6 large portobello mushrooms
- 5-8 ounces feta cheese
- 1 large tomato
- handfull Italian parsley
- Mince garlic and zest lemon. Reserve lemon for another use. Combine garlic and lemon zest with spice blend, oil, and salt.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and quickly rinse, removing any dirt. Rub mushrooms with marinade and set aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Crumble feta cheese and dice tomato. Mince parsley. Combine together, reserving a small amount of parsley for garnish.
- Grill mushrooms over high heat*, gill side down for 3-5 minutes. Turn over and sprinkle/press feta cheese-tomato filling onto top of mushrooms. (If you need to remove from grill to do this, that is fine). Grill until cheese is melt-y and mushrooms are soft. Garnish with parsley.