Marinated Portobello Mushrooms with Tomatoes and Feta Cheese
If you’re looking for a vegetarian grilling recipe, make these marinated portobello mushrooms stuffed with tomatoes and feta cheese. They’ll satisfy vegetarians and meat eaters alike, and couldn’t be easier to make.
Vegetarian Grilling Recipes
Sometimes I feel a little challenged when I host a cook-out and know I have vegetarian guests coming over. Of course I want to feed them well, and don’t want to stress myself out creating a complicated dish. However, I also like to offer something more interesting than pasta salad. These marinated portobello mushrooms are the best of both worlds. They are super simple to make, full of flavor, and are a wonderful addition to any meal.
Lemon and Garlic Marinade
The lemon zest, olive oil, and garlic marinade used on these mushrooms can be applied to many dishes. These garlic and lemon zest shrimp are perfect to put onto skewers and grill up with the mushrooms. (I am sure to purchase sustainably-caught shrimp, and often check the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch List for recommendations). Also, if you don’t have Turkish Grill Spice on hand, leave it out, or add a little smoked paprika and cumin to the marinade instead.
Vegetarian Meal Ideas
This dish makes a delicious side dish for a steak, or for a fully vegetarian meal, pair it with Turkish-style braised green beans (which are easily made in advance and served at room temperature), and this roasted cauliflower and date salad.
Marinated Portobello Mushroom Recipe with Tomatoes and Feta Cheese
- 5-6 large portobello mushrooms
- 5-8 ounces feta cheese
- 1 large tomato
- handfull Italian parsley
- Mince garlic and zest lemon. Reserve lemon for another use. Combine garlic and lemon zest with spice blend, oil, and salt.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and quickly rinse, removing any dirt. Rub mushrooms with marinade and set aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Crumble feta cheese and dice tomato. Mince parsley. Combine together, reserving a small amount of parsley for garnish.
- Grill mushrooms over high heat*, gill side down for 3-5 minutes. Turn over and sprinkle/press feta cheese-tomato filling onto top of mushrooms. (If you need to remove from grill to do this, that is fine). Grill until cheese is melt-y and mushrooms are soft. Garnish with parsley.