Fish Kebabs with Lemons & Peppers
This easy grilled fish recipe, fish kebabs with lemons and peppers, is a perfect dish for summertime gatherings. It’s quick to prepare, quick to cook, and everyone at the table will love it!
Best Spices for Fish
There are many spices that go well with fish, depending on the type of fish you are cooking. A general rule of thumb is using more mild spices for mild flavored the fish so it doesn’t overwhelm the natural flavor of the fish. For these fish kebabs I use my Turkish Grill Spice, which has a mild heat. For oilier fish, like salmon, tuna, or mackerel, use spices with stronger flavors like curry powder or spicy rubs.
Best Way to Grill Fish
Here are a few tips for ensuring perfect grilled fish every time:
–> Make sure to preheat the grill. To do this, I cover the grill with its lid once the coals are poured, and leave for 10 minutes to heat the grate. Scrub grill grate clean after preheating.
–> For this recipe, I usually use a mild flavored firm white fish, such as mahi mahi, halibut, or cod. I like firm fish for kebabs and grilling because they are sturdy, can be cut into cubes easier, and don’t fall apart on the grill.
–> Make sure the fish has oil on it. This will prevent sticking. I do this instead of oiling the grill grate to prevent flare-ups.
–> For maximum flavor, marinate fish in advance, even 30 minutes makes a difference. I don’t add lemon juice to the fish marinade as I find this tends to dry it out, it’s better drizzled on after cooking. If you’re marinating longer than 30 minutes, salt just 30 minutes before cooking. In this recipe I marinate the fish and veggies in separate bowls, and then combine together on the skewers.
Easy Grilled Fish Recipe
One of the best things about fish kebabs is that you can pair them with just about anything, like this za’atar flatbread or Mediterranean green beans with fresh dill and olives. I use fresh summer veggies like cherry tomatoes and peppers from the farmer’s market for the skewers, but feel free to switch it up. These are great served with warm tortillas for tacos, as shown in the video below.
For the Veggies
- 2 medium red onions
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 zested lemons (from above)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- If you're using wooden skewers, soak them for 30 minutes before using.
- Cut the fish into large chunks. Place in a bowl and zest lemons over the bowl. Add salt, olive oil, spice blend, and stir to coat. Set aside for 30 minutes-2 hours.
For the Veggies
- Cut onions, bell peppers, and lemons into large chunks. Place in a bowl and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Thread the veggies onto the skewers, alternating with fish pieces.
- Grill over medium heat until fish is cooked through and veggies are softened. Or cook in a 475 degree F oven for 10-12 minutes.