One Skillet Ground Beef Recipe with Zucchini and Spices
A one skillet ground beef recipe checks all the boxes when I’m looking for a quick weeknight meal. Quick? Check. Delicious? Check. Good for leftovers? Check. This one skillet ground beef recipe with zucchini and spices will have everyone’s mouth watering even before the pan hits the table.
We like to use this one skillet (cast iron is my favorite) ground beef recipe as a filling for pita wraps–I think of it as a “Mediterranean taco skillet”! I make the same type of filling for tacos using tortillas, and for this I just switched up the spices, and used flatbread for wraps. Instead of being chili powder based, I use turmeric, paprika, and oregano in equal amounts. The result is a savory, aromatic dish that will have your family sniffing the air and asking what’s for dinner!
My favorite toppings for this one skillet ground beef recipe are diced tomatoes and plain yogurt. Feel free to use fresh herbs as well, such as parsley or cilantro. Or get creative and add feta cheese, harissa, or even a tahini sauce!
A Good Carrot Community
One-Skillet Ground Beef Recipe with Zucchini and Spices
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium zucchini or summer squash
- 1 medium tomato or 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or unsalted butter
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Plain yogurt for garnish
- parsley for garnish
- chopped tomato for garnish
- Dice onion and mince garlic. Cut zucchini un half lengthwise then into 1/2-inch slices. Dice tomato. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a 10-inch cast iron or other high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, breaking up with a spoon, and cook until brown.
- Add onion, garlic, and zucchini, and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add spices, salt, 1/4 cup water, and diced tomato. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, to allow flavors to combine. Garnish with chopped tomato and serve directly from skillet.