Mom’s Meatball Recipe with Parsley and Onion Salad
This healthy dinner recipe is a terrific way to get a nutritious and delicious meal on the table in under an hour. My meatball recipe contains fresh parsley and mint, adding a zesty kick, and can easily be made gluten-free.
Meatball Recipe: A Quick Kid-Friendly Weeknight Dinner
This recipe formed in my head after years of recipe reading, as well as the need for a simple, nutritious, and kid-approved dinner. My 8-year old daughter does a happy dance every time I tell her these are for dinner. In an attempt to get her more involved in the kitchen, one night I asked, “can you make them?”, and she said “sure”, so we wrote down the recipe with me reciting the recipe from memory. Hence our family’s “Mom’s Meatballs” were named. I help her out with the onion and garlic grating, but otherwise she can make these herself.
Eating a Balanced Life
I have an unnatural love affair with vegetables, and I also love eating meat raised using methods of regenerative agriculture. The decision to eat meat is a very personal one, and requires contemplation, compassion, and these days, some research. I have discovered over the years that I feel best when I eat mostly vegetables, with small amounts of meat included. My passion really is for responsible and regenerative farming, the kind which will sustain our children and children’s children for generations to come.
Healthy Dinner Recipes
These meatballs make a great appetizer or main dish. The parsley and onion salad recipe included uses the tart spice sumac, and is a light and refreshing side for any meat dish. Serve this meatball recipe with Roasted Sweet Potato Fries with Sweet Coriander-Onion Dip and Massaged Kale Salad.
Mom’s Meatballs with Parsley and Onion Salad
- ½ large onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs Italian parsley
- 2 sprigs mint
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb, or a mixture
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour or bread crumbs, rice flour may also be used for gluten free
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- black pepper, Freshly ground, 2-3 grinds
Parsley and Onion Salad
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 cup Italian parsley leaves
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- pinch fine sea salt
- pinch Sumac
- Grate onion and garlic.* Chop 1 Tablespoon each parsley and mint.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix together all ingredients with hands in bowl. Form into meatballs, about golf ball size, makes 15-20. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes.
Parsley and Onion Salad
- Thinly slice 1/8 cup onion. (I used a mandolin)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss lightly. Serve on a platter next to meatballs, and garnish with sprinkled sumac.