Mediterranean Style Chicken Recipe with Tomatoes and Honey
This Mediterranean style chicken recipe with tomatoes and honey combines onion, garlic, and ginger with tomatoes and honey for a savory, satisfying, and well-balanced dish that is easy to put together.
Easy Chicken Recipe
This is one of my favorite chicken recipes. With so many chicken recipes out there, I am always on the look out for the ones that stand out. Do not be intimidated by the multiple steps of this Mediterranean style chicken recipe; most of the time is spent with the pot happily bubbling away on the stove, making the house smell amazing. It is a perfect dish to make on the weekend or when you have time, and reheat during the week. Tomatoes and honey seem a strange combination, but the acid of the tomatoes and sweetness of the honey balance each other out to create a savory, unctuous dish. Once cooked, the chicken will be tender and falling off the bone.
Selva’s Summer Rice Pilaf Recipe would a be a perfect accompaniment for this recipe.
Chicken with Tomatoes and Honey
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes or 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons refined coconut oil (no coconut flavor)
- 6 chicken thighs (bone-in, skin on, about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- pinch ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- ½ cup almonds
- sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Dice onion and roughly chop garlic. Core tomatoes and chop into 1-inch chunks.
- Heat a heavy bottomed large pot over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add oil. Add the chicken pieces and cook until the chicken is golden brown. Remove chicken. Do this in two batches in order to get a good caramelizing on the chicken.
- Add to the pot the diced onion, garlic, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cook for 5 minutes over medium-high heat, until onions are softening.
- Add chopped tomatoes, and heat until the tomatoes are beginning to bubble.
- Add the chicken back in, lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes. Check the pot occasionally to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom.
- Meanwhile, roast the almonds in the oven at 350°F for 7-10 minutes, or until lightly toasted and fragrant.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the pot. Increase the heat and cook the tomato mixture, stirring to prevent sticking, until the sauce is reduced into a thick puree, 15-20 minutes.
- (Optional step: Crisp up chicken skin by placing under a broiler for 3-5 minutes.)
- Remove tomato sauce from heat, and stir in the honey. Taste for salt, adding more if necessary.
- Place chicken thighs on serving dish and spoon finished tomato sauce over top. Garnish with toasted almonds and sesame seeds.