Jamaican Vegetable Curry
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1-3 scotch bonnet or habanero peppers (optional)
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 pound fingerling potato
- 1/2 head green cabbage
- 2 scallions
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Spice Club Jamaican Curry Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 3 springs fresh thyme
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups water or stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 30 oz. can black-eyed peas or chickpeas*
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
Mise en place
- Dice onion. Mince garlic. Using gloves, mince spicy peppers. Scrub carrots and cut into 1-inch chunks. Cut potatoes into 1-inch chunks. Thinly slice cabbage and scallions.
- If using chicken or shrimp in the recipe, slice and clean these now.
Let's get cooking!
- In a medium sized pan with high sides, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, peppers (if using), and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add curry powder, thyme, tomato paste, carrots, potatoes, cabbage, scallions, and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, water and coconut milk.
- Cook, stirring, scraping any stuck bits off the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, add chickpeas (or chicken/shrimp), and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or so, until carrots and potatoes are soft. Taste and adjust salt and add lime juice.
*You can also add chicken or shrimp to this recipe instead of peas/beans. For chicken, cut 1 pound of thighs into cubes and simmer until cooked through, 15-20 minutes. For shrimp, add peeled deveined shrimp and simmer until cooked through, 5-8 minutes.