Jamaican Curry Rice
- 1 small onion
- 1 Tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon Jamaican curry powder or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup mixed frozen vegetables (such as peas, carrots and corn)
- 1 cup jasmine or other medium grain white rice
Mise en place
- Dice onion. Assemble other ingredients.
Let's get cooking
- In a medium pot with a tight fitting lid, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. During this time, add curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Add water, coconut milk, and frozen vegetables and bring to a boil. Add rice, cover and simmer until rice is cooked, 20-25 minutes depending on package instructions.
- Remove pan from heat and cover with a clean dish towel between the pan and the lid. Let sit 10 minutes, then fluff rice with a fork.