Hard-Boiled Eggs Recipe with Garlic and Parsley
This hard-boiled egg recipe with garlic and parsley is a perfect party appetizer. It’s easy to make and so so delicious.
Who Needs a Hard Boiled Egg Recipe?
There are many opinions out there on how to make the perfect hard boiled egg. From salting the water to chanting over your backyard chickens (okay, just kidding, never heard that one), sometimes getting the perfect hard boiled egg can seem so elusive! But no more! Let me share with you how I get perfect hard boiled eggs for this recipe every time.
1. Choose a pot with a lid that can hold the eggs to be boiled in a single layer.
2. Put the eggs in the pot and cover with water. Turn heat to medium-high.
3. Watch the pot closely, as soon as the water comes up to boil, kill the heat, cover the pot, and set a timer for 10 minutes. As soon as the timer dings, either transfer your eggs to an ice bath, or immediately discard warm water from pot and cover eggs with several changes of cold water. This will yield a perfect hard boiled egg for this recipe. Prefer a slightly softer egg? Try 6-7 minutes. Really like that gray color on the outside of the yolk? Boil it forever! (But seriously this is how the gray ring comes to be, is overcooking.)
To peel the eggs easily, there are two considerations. One, start with older eggs, they will peel better. Super fresh farmers’ market eggs are going to be a pain to peel! Two, once the eggs are cooked, crack them all over, but don’t peel! Put them back in the water and let them sit for a minute. The water will get under the shell and help remove it more easily.
Perfect Party Appetizers
A few years ago I threw a flamenco-themed party, and served these as an appetizer. There was a lot of other food, but this was one of the most popular dishes at the party! Even if you’re not having an actual party, pick up your favorite cheese and cured meats, raid your favorite olive bar, bust out the bread and cheese, add a bottle of Spanish wine or sherry, and you’re in business! These hard boiled eggs are also delicious alongside this Chorizo and Chickpea Tapas recipe.
Sliced Eggs with Garlic and Parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup Italian Parsley leaves
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- black pepper, freshly ground, 3-4 grinds
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, sliced crosswise or lengthwise into 4 pieces
- olives for garnish
- red pepper flakes for garnish
- In a food processor or blender, combine the garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, and paprika and process until finely chopped. With the motor running, pour in the oil gradually.
- If not using a food processor, finely mince the garlic and parsley together and put in a small bowl. Mix in the salt, pepper, and paprika, and whisk in olive oil.
- Arrange the sliced eggs on a serving dish. Pour on the sauce and decorate with olives, if using, and red pepper flakes.