Green Vegetable Soup Recipe
This green vegetable soup recipe takes simple pantry ingredients and transforms them into a light and flavorful soup. No one flavor overpowers another here: the sweetness of the peas mingles with the broccoli, potato, leeks and onion to create a balanced dish perfect as a start to a meal, or as a light meal on hot summer’s day.
- 2 cups chopped onion, (1 large onion)
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts only
- 8 oz. unpeeled potatoes, (2 cups chopped)
- 3 ¾ cups homemade vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz. broccoli florets and chopped stems
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas or fresh peas
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or unsalted butter, , or a mixture
- 2-3 Tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sprigs of parsley, , to garnish
Mix together onion, leeks, potatoes, stock and bay leaf in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Cover, lower to a simmer, and let cook for 10 minutes.
Add the broccoli and peas, cover, return pot to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
Mix in the olive oil or butter, remove from heat, and remove and discard bay leaf. Allow to cool slightly, then blend with a stick immersion blender or transfer to a blender and puree.
Add the parsley and blend so that there are still small flecks of parsley in the soup.
Return soup to saucepan and reheat gently. Add salt and pepper*
Serve into individual bowls and garnish with parsley sprigs.
*take into account if your stock is already salted, added salt will be less than ¾ teaspoon.