Golden Baked Chicken Wings
These golden baked chicken wings are easy to make at home and easy fulfill any snack cravings. They are flavored with a turmeric spice blend, then cooked until a little crisp and absolutely succulent. Served with a 5-minute yogurt dipping sauce, it’s easy to whip up a batch for your next gathering!
Chicken Wings in the Oven
While traditional chicken wings are deep fried, these are baked in the oven, which I find to be an infinitely easier cooking method. Toss the wings with olive oil, salt, and spices, then spread out on a baking sheet to cook. For maximum flavor, try salting and spicing the wings up to 24 hours in advance. This extra time allows maximum penetration of the salt and spices into the chicken wings. I also like to cook the wings on a wire rack over a foil-lined baking sheet. This ensures that the hot air in the oven circulates all the way around the chicken, and rather than having a soggy part of the wing where it was sitting on the pan, it’s an even crisp all the way around.
Spices that go with chicken
Chicken can be flavored with almost any manner of spices or spice blend. In this recipe I used my Spice Club Golden Smoke blend which combines the earthiness of turmeric with the smoked paprika and a few other ingredients. A pinch of each of these spices can be used instead of the blend if you don’t have it on hand.
Baked chicken wings for the win!
While chicken wings are often thought of as a snack or junk food (When everyone else orders pizza, I request chicken wings), I’m always game to serve them as the main course of an easy weeknight dinner. To be sure I have enough wings, I count on one pound of wings per person. The recipe below calls for two pounds of chicken wings, so it serves two people. The wings I buy have the “tip” removed, but you can certainly use whole wings as well.
5-minute Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- 8 oz. plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- pinch fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, salt, and spice blend.
- Toss wings to coat in a bowl with the oil/spice mixture.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top. Arrange the wings in a single layer on the wire rack.
- Bake for 25-50 minutes, depending on the size of the wings. Turn wings every 15 minutes. Internal temperature should read 165 degrees F.
5-Minute Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- Grate the cucumber and garlic into the yogurt. Mince cilantro leaves and add to the mixture, along with salt. Serve alongside baked chicken wings.