Butternut Squash Frittata Recipe – Dairy Free
- 1 small butternut squash or 2 delicata squash*
- 2 Tablespoons + 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 large bunch kale
- 12 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Herbes de Méditerranée or Herbes de Provence (without lavender)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- snipped chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Peel butternut squash with a strong peeler and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and slice into 1/4" thick slices. Toss with 2 Tablespoons olive oil and arrange on a large rimmed baking sheet in one layer. Bake until tender but not browned, 18-20 minutes.
- Cut onion in half, peel, and thinly slice. De-stem kale and tear the leaves into pieces, so that you have 2 cups. Whisk eggs in a large bowl.
- Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in a 10" cast iron or other oven proof skillet over medium heat. Add onion, herb blend, and a pinch of salt, and cooking, stirring occasionally, until onions soften. If they start to brown, turn down the heat. Add kale leaves and cook for 5 minutes until wilted. Toss in roasted squash.
- Whisk 2 teaspoons kosher salt into eggs, and pour into skillet. Shake gently so everything is in an even layer in the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, until edges are starting to set. Transfer to oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until eggs are cooked through.
- Garnish with chives.
*If using delicata squash, they don't need peeling.